The Niwot Sanitation District has a number of tips to help you solve a problem with a backed up sewer.
You can contact the Niwot Sanitation District at:
(303) 652-2525 (Office)
(303) 919-4015 (Emergency After Hours)
Common Causes of a Sewer Line Backup:
- Separated Joints
- Clogged Pipes
- Root Damage
- Cracks in the Pipe
- Mainline Backups
What to do when you have a backup:
- Don’t run any water down any drain in your home until the stoppage is cleared.
- Call Niwot Sanitation to report the issue. We will recommend action and check the main line.
- Most likely, you will need to call a plumber to assist with clearing the stoppage and assess the cause.
- Contact your homeowner’s insurance company to determine if you are covered (some homeowner’s policies do cover sewer backups).
How can you prevent a sewer backup?
- A plumber can assess your risk for a backup.
- You can use grease-fighting liquid dish detergent such as Dawn® to break up grease blockages.
- Never flush or wash these things down the drain:
- Diapers/Hygiene Products
- Fat, Oil & Grease
- Facial Tissue/Paper Towels
- Wet Wipes
- Food Solids
For further information, go to the Niwot Sanitation District website.